Came Out

slitsofmoonlight    

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! Most of them are also LGBTQ, which was until a couple months ago one of the few real differences I had between them. It feels real nice. I think I'm going to wait on coming out to my family though....

Hey,

Well it must feel great to be out to some likeminded friends.

There is no rush to come out to your fam... how do you think they would take it?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

My mom won't. She's pretty homophobic, and the fact that I'm panromantic means she thinks that there will be more 'hope' for me to be straight. My dad will take that part fine, but I'm asexual. He'll probably tell me I'm too young to know, but then just come to terms with it once I've talked it over with him. He's more accepting than my mom, that's for sure.

Hey @slitsofmoonlight

Really cool of your Dad for being more on board, could he have a little word with your mom do you think?

Sometimes it's a lot of ignorance and misinformation that can be unlearnt with your parents.

Sending lots of solidarity your way.

-Remi

I think he's tried before. She's just vehemently homophobic. She just does little things, like purposefully using the wrong pronouns for some of my friends cause she know it makes me mad or making faces when I mention that this actor or celebrity is gay, like I can control it. I'm just afraid of what she would do when she found out. It's not even a hate related to religion, she just thinks its wrong or borderline disgusting.

And thank you.

Hey @slitsofmoonlight

Wow, that sounds so tough for you...

It's so hard when we love someone but we just cannot understand their prejudice or their way of thinking. Unfortunately, we can't force people to see things the way we do. It's not disgusting and I know you know that but in case you need a reminder :)

-Remi

• 8 months later...