Stuttering/Stammering

copacetic    

You call it Stammering in the UK, we call it Stuttering here in the USA.

Anyone else here grow up with it?

It was one of the things I was bullied and teased about the most when I was a kid.

I've done it since I was four, and that was more than three decades ago. Either you grow out of it, or you don't. My speech has improved profoundly from therapy when I was in school, but i will never be completely fluent.

I mainly wanted to post this to see if anyone else here has experienced it, and to say that It Gets Better. You can get to a place where it doesn't stop you from doing the things you want, like talking on the phone or speaking in front of people.

Hey Copectic,

Awesome post, thank you for sharing so honestly about your experience.

I have no doubt someone soon will read this and be so grateful to know it gets better.

?'???

-peach311

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 2 weeks later...

What I get from people these days is mostly ignorance. Every once in a while I'll have someone finish my sentences. (Do NOT do this with someone who stutters... if you're wrong about what they're going to say, it's even more rude)

What's baffling is that occasionally, someone will be so completely unfamiliar with it that they'll laugh due to it sounding funny. We're not talking kids on the playground, we're talking about work clients in professional situations - adults that are old enough to know better. But then I get to have polite and informative conversations with their bosses :)

Hey Copacetic, ??

Thanks for sharing, it's important people are told what is ok and what is a big fat not ok when talking to people with stutters. It always seems to boil down to ignorance.

How do people react if you give some feedback that finishing your sentence is not helpful and however unintentionally they did it, it is still disrespectful?

Wow, that blows my mind that you have experienced that from adults in the work place. If I had to try and understand I would say it probably comes from people lacking enough empathy and sensitivity to respond from a place of compassion instead of judgement.

What tips would you give to anyone struggling with stammering/stuttering?

Sending support. ??

-peach311

You're completely right, it's a lack of empathy. I think too many people feel that they need to understand something to be compassionate towards it. This is relatable to anyone that has faced any kind discrimination, too. You shouldn't have to know someone who is gay/trans/another race/etc to be compassionate (at the very least!) to people like them.

It's usually eye opening when I give feedback on people correcting me. They genuinely thought they were helping me, especially if they happen to be right about what word I was going to say next.

As far tips go -

- keep talking

- be open to how therapy goals change. there's no cure, so therapy eventually becomes about making your speech not prevent you from doing things.

- if in school, get your teachers on your side first. they should be your first allies.

- learn to get out of your comfort zone

- no really, keep talking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ditch the Label Staff

Hey Copacetic,

Thanks for the honest here. What advice would you give to somebody who is experiencing bullying because of attitudes towards it? Do you have any good comebacks that have worked well for you in the past?

Harper

Staff-Account.png

• 1 year later...

Stuttering absolutely sucks! I stuttered SO bad in fourth grade that I could barely get out one sentence. My two friends and I learned sign language so we could communicate better. Once I started seventh grade I barely stuttered at all but people still make fun of me to this day. I think a lot of it for me is eye contact. I have a hard time looking at people while I'm talking and I think that I can talk to myself better than other people.

• 4 weeks later...
I stutter to the point were some days I sound like a broken record and get bullied.

Hey Dea, I'm so sorry you are getting bullied for your stutter. This is absolutely not okay, have you told any of your teachers about this?

Stay strong x

Remi

• 2 years later...

I had a small stutter as a child and it discouraged me to talk. I went through therapy so that I would actually talk. It isn't gone, but I manage it a bit better.

4 hours ago, Dywwik said:

I had a small stutter as a child and it discouraged me to talk. I went through therapy so that I would actually talk. It isn't gone, but I manage it a bit better.

So happy to hear that you manage it a bit better :). Would you like to share what you do to help the stutter? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

3 hours ago, Monsoon said:

So happy to hear that you manage it a bit better :). Would you like to share what you do to help the stutter? 

I had therapy very young for this speech impediment. It helped a lot! In my case, I repeat the beginning of sentences constantly and don't finish them. I now talk slower and pause often so that my thought is well constructed before I speak. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing :)

This will definitely help other people who are struggling with stuttering!

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e