Back to Ditch The Label

Disability

my mom uses a wheelchair and people stare

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 13 total)

•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
Author
    hi everyone
    my mom had an accident a few years ago which basically meant that she could no longer use one of her legs and she now uses a wheelchair. if we are out getting groceries or whatever, people always stare and i get embarrassed. like i love my mom and i'm proud of her but i don't know what to do when people stare? i feel guilty even asking because she's my mom and i love her. oh btw, it's just me and her because my mom and dad got divorced and he moved to the west coast so i don't see him much
  •  
    Hey Bingabong,
    Thank you for being so honest and brave. What you are feeling is completely natural and normal and it's a big change, which takes time for everyone to get used to. People will often stare at people if they don't understand them. Unfortunately we rarely see adequate representation of people in wheelchairs in the media we consume and so naturally, for some people it is somewhat of a 'novelty'. The important thing to remember is that your mom is still the same person she was before, she's just now sat down and moves around in a wheelchair instead of on her legs. Nothing else has changed. The reason people stare is not your mom's fault. One way of dealing it may be to smile at them and see what happens. What do you think?

Harper

Comment

• Comment

•  
        sometimes in public people stare at me i think because I'm overweight idk. but then sometimes i dunno if it's just me being paranoid. i try not to think about it and ignore it when it happens. not worrying helps a lot

Comment

• Comment

•  
            actually thats really helpful advice. what if they say something when i smile at them?

Comment

• Comment

•  
                @Bingabong, it's unlikely that they will, but if they do - be kind and treat them with respect and they will hopefully do the same back to you. Kindness and compassion are great tools for dismantling hate and ignorance. If at any time you feel uncomfortable, speak to your mom.

Comment

• Comment

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 13 total)

Working...
                  X