How to convince my mother?

Janvi Rakshi    

* This is probably a bit long. Sorry about that.

Hi! So, my name Is Janvi. I am 15 and I have ADHD.

My uncle who is a doctor diagnosed me with it when I was 12, after I approached him with the suspicion that I might have ADHD, after reading the Percy Jackson series.

He took me to a friend of his who is a psychiatrist, who then quickly confirmed my suspicion.

However, my mother refuses to accept this. She researched on the internet what ADHD is, and then proceeded to tell me that I am just seeking attention.

According to a site, one of ADHD's syptoms was Dyslexia, and it pretty apparent that I don't have that.

So, now she won't let me take medication or do anything to cure it, despite my uncle's protests and warnings. I have worsened and now it has begun to affect my studies.

What can I do?

Hello Javi,

Welcome to community.

ADHD isn't actually 'cured' with medication and the medication is used to counteract some symptoms of ADHD. It isn't always a good idea for developing brains to be medicated which may be why your Mum is hesitant for this. Could you go and visit another doctor with your Mom to have it cross referenced. You could also try speaking to your school and see what they have to say about the diagnosis?

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hi, thanks for replying so fast. I seriously did not know about the medication. But, my mother is not hesitant because of that, it's because she does not want anyone in her family to be a ' psycho' as she considers abyone with anytype of mental condition to be.

And school won't be of any help.

Hello Javi,

Sorry to hear this, could you share some resources with her about ADHD and say that you would like to see another doctor? Why is it not an option to talk to your school? They should have an interest in it if it affecting your concentration at school?

Remi

Hello Javi,

Sorry to hear this, could you share some resources with her about ADHD and say that you would like to see another doctor? Why is it not an option to talk to your school? They should have an interest in it if it affecting your concentration at school?

Remi

Hey,

Thanks for responding again. Now, my uncle and I have tried very hard for a very long time to convince my mother to let me at least get a consultation from another doctor, but that only ended with my mother blaming my uncle for apparently turning me into a 'psycho'.

And the school I go to does not actually care if one of the students is having any type of problem. I once tried to tell a teacher just to be chewed out in front of everyone.

* My name is actually Janvi and not Javi. I hope you don't mind me calling you out.

Hello Janvi!

Sorry I think my computer kept auto-correcting your name. People are always smelling my name wrong so I get it no worries!

Could you organise an appointment with learning support so it's not just in class. Thats a shame about your school. You may not be able to force your mum to see your way of thinking and it may be that you manage the condition on yout own for now. Could you find a support group online?

Remi

Hey Remi,

Thanks for checking up on me. Suffice to say, my mom has still not been even an inch convinced. But, my father has finally decided to take a stand after my Karate Sensei told him to. So, let's see how that turns out.

Hey,

No worries XD, argh that's annoying, but hey a win that your Dad is taking you seriously. Could your Dad or your sensai speak to your Mom. Also, so cool that you do karate, what belt are you?

Remi

• 2 months later...
  • Ditch the Label Staff
Hey Remi,

Thanks for checking up on me. Suffice to say, my mom has still not been even an inch convinced. But, my father has finally decided to take a stand after my Karate Sensei told him to. So, let's see how that turns out.

Hey, how are you getting on?

Staff-Account.png