My Dad Isn't Accepting Me Please Help

bellacast1914    

So I am bisexual or pansexual and I've talked to my mom plenty of times about girls I've liked and she is very understanding isn't telling me I can't be one way or another and she is from Europe so it's very uncommon there and I'm glad I can talk to her about it. She even shared with me a couple of experiences she had. I have never dated a girl but I have talked to plenty and I've dated a couple of guys none that my parents now of. Last night we were on a walk and I was walking with my dad he asked if there were any boys. I overall said no because I don't like any boys right now. I then said well there are more people than just males. I proceeded to tell him Yes! I like boys and girls! I thought he knew considering comments he made before like me having a girlfriend in the future. He proceeded to tell me I'm not bisexual and it's just a trend and that I don't know. LIKE WTF I wanted to cry the whole time he was telling me all these things but I just held it in... (I'm crying right now lol)... I have been very quiet and distant since last night my sister and mom noticed and keep asking if I'm okay I'm just telling them I find well... I'm not fine. My dad explaining to me it's just social media feeding me with all this when I have defined myself as bisexual since 7th grade when I literally had no social media and no LGTBQ+ friends either. I did and do have very accepting friends and it's more common now but I need help. I don't know what to do I'm hiding my feelings, being distant, and not telling anyone including my best friends about this problem.

Hey @bellacast1914

Welcome to our support community - my name is Monsoon and I'm one of the digital support mentors here to talk to you and give you some advice :)

First of all, I'm really glad to hear that your mum is very understanding and that your friends are accepting. I noticed you said that you are not telling anyone, including your best friends, and I wondered if you're thinking of coming out to them? If you are, we can help you with that. On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear that you're upset by your dad's reaction. I can totally see why you are upset about this - coming out to your parents is so personal and hearing something like this is bound to make anyone feel down. The thing is, this reaction can be quite common for parents and as time goes on, they tend to look at it differently. I'm wondering, what do you think would be best for you to do next? Could it be worth telling your dad about how it made you feel?

Chin up. Speak soon.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e