How to Help Friend with Depression?

sophiesally    

Hello -- my roommate has be dealing with depression for the last number of months. I feel a little lost in how to best support him -- mostly I've just doing thing with him, getting out of the house and being positive. Talking when he wants to talk. What else can / should I do?

Another question -- he has been using alcohol pretty heavily as a coming mechanism. Is this something I should address with him? If so, how?

Thank you

Hello Sophie,

Welcome to the community.

It sounds like you are already an incredible resource to your friend. Everything you are doing to try and show him that you are there for him and that you support him and are there to listen is exactly the feedback we get from our members of how people want to be supported when they are depressed. Of course, everyone is different, but you can only do what you can do, and we have to set clear boundaries and realistic limitations when we are supporting others. You are doing what you can and that is enough, his mental health can not be your responsibility and I know that sounds harsh, but it's about making sure you are taking care of yourself and not putting too much strain on yourself.

About his alcoholism, if you feel like you have the kind of relationship where you could bring it up with him then you could consider just asking gently but he may not want to feel attacked at this point. You could support him by doing activities together that do not involve drinking to give him less connections with alcohol and show him he can still have fun without drinking.

Depression is very personal and it can be tough supporting someone with depression so just make sure you are checking in with yourself regularly.

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.