Coming out as bisexual to my mum and dealing with a “break�

Charlotte7    

I just came out to my parents as bisexual after my girlfriend told me she was having doubts in the relationship. We have only hung out a handful of times as when the pandemic broke out we had to leave college. We have been doing long distance since and it has worked out very well. We fell for each other quickly and became official after a month or so. My girlfriend is worried we rushed into things and is scared that we won’t feel the same way when we see each other again, whenever that will be. My mum thinks this is just a phase and does not believe that I’m in love with this girl. I’m struggling to handle my mums reaction and the break my girlfriend and I are on.

Hey Charlotte. Thanks for coming to us for support - we are here for you :)

I'm really sorry to hear that you're on a break atm and that your mum didn't react well. When people come out to their parents, they can often have a bad reaction which can happen for many reasons. Here's a support guide to help with this: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/. We often find that in these situations, the parent comes round eventually. This means that you might just have to be patient with her and I know this is hard, but it can just take time for some people to process this news. It might be worth speaking to her about how hurt you are by this and that it's not a phase. This will probably help your mum to realise that you're being serious.

Also, I can see from your post that you're down about the break which is completely understandable. My hunch is that if it's been going well in lockdown, then you'll probably feel the same when you see each other in person again. However, it seems like she really needs space right now and as hard as this might be to respect, you just have to ride it out and see what happens.

Let me know what you think of this. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Chin up - you'll get through this.

- Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e