I'm confused and I'm lost

Woody95    

This is gonna drive me crazy trying to figure this out but I can try to explain this in the easiest way possible. So last year in late october its about 2 almost 3 months into school. I was in math class and I was having a bit of anxiety so I figured it was because I needed some help so I raised my hand and my teaching assistant who is just there to help disabled children because I have a disability came over to my seat and asked me what the problem was so I askes her help and then for some reason she scolded me because I didn't understand the math problem and she proceeded to yell things like "WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU?!! YOU'RE MAKING THIS A LOT HARDER THAN WHAT IT NEEDS TO BE!!!!" And other things that implied I was being a crybaby. I had to get out of the room because i was crying but then she kept scolding me even more and was like "You need to learn to calm down you're freaking out over a simple math problem!" When I was clearly trying to calm myself and plus she was scaring me. Luckily I told my therapist and my mother about this and my mom got super angry and immediately contacted the school about this and the teaching assistant did calm down a little but not a whole lot. And this isn't the first time the teaching assistant has went this crazy and I'm completely traumatized by this. I need help, was that abuse? And if so, what should I do about it? I'm just a kid and I don't think there's a whole lot I can do here...

Hey Woody,

Thanks for coming to us for support; we can definitely help you with this :). I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this - you don't deserve to be treated this way and I'm glad you reported it. I can completely see why this would be traumatic. You trusted her to help you and then she reacted really negatively, so it's understandable why this affected you so much. I know you said she calmed down a little, but do you feel like she could do better? If so, then I would think about speaking to the school again to see what they can do. It might be better if your parents do this though. It's so hard to say if it's abuse or not, but I can definitely say that her approach needs to change to make school a better place for you.

Speak soon,

Monsoon.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e