Dealing with depression

JulienSuta    

I have a little brother dealing with depression, it is difficult to understand how serious it is but he’s spoken to a friend talking about having suicidal thoughts, does anyone have any advice as to how to approach this issue with him?

Hello @JulienSuta

Welcome to our digital support community. My name is Monsoon and I'm one of the digital support mentors here.

I'm sorry to hear that your little brother is struggling at the moment. Can I ask, what did he say to his friend about suicide? One way to know whether someone is being serious or not is to ask them if they have a plan to take their own life. Most people who are being serious about taking their own life have a specific plan, however, some people may not have made a plan yet. Also, if someone is feeling suicidal and then appears to turn a big corner and have an improved mood all of a sudden, then this is also a big sign. What do you think of these two?

We have a support guide here for helping people who are feeling suicidal: https://ditchthelabel.org/8-in-the-moment-things-you-should-remember-if-someone-opens-up-about-suicide/. There is plenty of information about access to crisis lines - the app 'Stay Alive' is really good too. It is also important to ensure that the person has access to support for their mental health difficulties e.g. a strong network of support with family and friends and help from the doctor e.g. therapies or medication if absolutely necessary.

Let me know what you think of all of this. We are here to support you through all of this and you are not alone.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e