This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide

Super depressed about having to get a job

Anonymous3831    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide

Click this notice to reveal the content.

I’ll just say I’m 21, a senior in college for accounting with two more semesters left and I’m not excited to work for 40-45 more years of my life.

Recently my parents really want me to get a summer job for experience (I think it’s for money). I haven’t worked yet but I already know what to expect at entry level positions at McDonald’s, retail, ect.. The possibility of bad managers, employees, and customers.

Im not sure why but when I think about having to get a job it makes me abnormally depressed. I mean thinking about killing myself depressed and I don’t even know why. I’m not sure if it’s because the way how my parents are making me get a job (It feels like there doing something similar to fat shaming), I don’t know if it’s the types of people that I’ll have to work with, I don’t know if I’m depressed because of past bullying experiences that has to do with people in general, it could be that thinking about working for 45 years could be it, or maybe I just want to work in a professional environment and thinking about working at a place such as McDonald’s depresses me.

I can’t go see a psychologist so I’m wondering if there’s any tips I can do for soul searching or just ways I can at least find out why I’m depressed about it? It could also be I have this one main goal and working to me feels like it would conflict with it. But I don’t think that’s it because I realize I understand I’ll still have time. I just wish I knew why I feel like this about getting a job.

Edited by Daisie

Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us for support. We are here to help you through this :)

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling this way about getting a job. The thought of working for 45+ years can be scary for many and quite off-putting and I don't think you're alone in feeling negative about it. Can I ask, do you have plans to take your own life at the moment? I’m concerned after you saying you feel like taking your own life sometimes. If this is the case, please know that this will get better and we are here to help you. Here is some information just in case you need it:

• We support Monday - Friday, 9am - 5.30pm (BST) via our community https://www.ditchthelabel.org/community/and there are more options below:
  • UK: The Samaritans - 116 123 (This is a 24/7 service)
  • USA: NSPL - 1-800-273-8255 (This is a 24/7 service)
  • This link will give you a list of all crisis lines worldwide: https://www.befrienders.org
  • You can also call your doctor or go to any emergency department and ask for help.

From what you've said, it sounds like you're okay at the moment, but I just want to be cautious and make sure you have the info if you need it.

With starting work, I think that once you do get into it, you'll probably start to feel better. It sounds like you some anxiety about work, is that fair to say? A lot of the time, people can make things worse in their minds than they actually are, and it just takes having that experience to realise it's not so bad. Why do you think you feel this way about getting a job and what do you think you could do to help yourself?

​​​​​​​Also, can I ask,what is your goal? You might be able to get a job to help with the goal.

Let me know what you think!

- Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hey there @Anonymous3831

I think @Monsoon gave some great advice and I just wanted to add to it really.

I felt a really similar way when I was entering the working world. But then I realised, that you don't have to do the same thing for your whole life, you are allowed to change jobs as many times as you like and often when you find something that you're good at, or that makes you happy it isn't a drag all the time. I really love working, because I enjoy what I do. That isn't to say there aren't bad days, like with everything but mainly It's okay.

Being an adult can be terrifying, and it's really okay that you are worried about it and that it's getting you down. But life isn't just work, its friendships and hobbies, and going out or staying in and enjoying yourself. Try not to think of it as this long 45 year stretch when realistically its broken up into a lot of different and smaller sections that are filled with lots of different, jobs, people and experiences, and thats what life is.

Like Monsoon said, what are your interests? Do you think you could make a career around them??

Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.