Questioning

questioning4    

Hi! My name is Winter. I am 16 years old and for my whole life, I have considered myself heterosexual. About two months ago, I started questioning. I realized I could see myself with either a girl or boy. Although I am pretty sure I am attracted to boys, I think I may have developed a crush on a girl in my class. Whenever I used to think about the LGBTQ+ community, I thought about it as something far away: I supported these people but never thought I could identify with them. Now I am wondering if I might be pansexual. My parents and I belong to a religion that is against expression of homosexuality. I love my religion and will never give it up, and much of the information it has put out about same-sex attraction has actually made me feel better about possibly being an LGBTQ+ member of that faith. Still, I am confused and don't know what to do. Any tips on how you all got past the questioning phase?

Hey@questioning4

Welcome to our community :). I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us.

Thanks for opening up to us about your questioning phase. I think that when going through this, it's important to keep in mind that there is no normal. Most people go through something similar, and it's good to follow your instincts about what's right for you and what you need to stay happy and healthy. It helps to be really open and honest with yourself, to connect with others who might feel the same, which can be done through social media, and even dating, perhaps. It's good to educate yourself, and also, if you have consistent feelings about something, then don't ignore them. Always face these thoughts and feelings head on, and you'll put yourself in a good position.

What do you think about this? It would be good to hear what you think you need right now if you have any ideas? Speak soon.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e