Questioning Sexuality in Church Spaces

chris_tea_n51    

Hey y'all! I am having a very difficult time. Well not too bad but still. I grew up in a very Conservative Christian home, going to private school and going to church as much as I could. I never really questioned my sexuality because I was in that space and I was always the perfect child. I couldn't mess up. It was hard, I still deal with that in the back of my head as a full grown adult. I am just wondering if anyone here has questioned their sexuality in church spaces or religious spaces? I also lead in a very non affirming organization. For those who have been in these spaces what has been your experience in questioning your sexuality? Any advice in general when it comes to questioning? Any way to help overcome the shame of questioning and experimenting?

Hello@chris_tea_n51

My name is Monsoon and I’m one of the digital support mentors here at Ditch the Label. It’s my job to give advice and support to those who come to us, and this is a safe space for sharing absolutely anything.

Thank you for telling us about your life. I noticed that you made two posts and I thought it would be good to respond to this one rather than both of that’s okay? I think they’re similar.

I think that questioning your sexuality can be a tricky process for anyone, especially for people who grow up in religious spaces. There tends to be a lot of shame attached to doing this which is common when your religion tells you that’s it’s not okay to be LGBTQ+. I think that the best way to go forward is to just do everything at your own pace and try to go easy on yourself. This might be a long process for you, and I think it’s important to tell yourself that it’s perfectly natural to question your sexuality, regardless of where you come from. What do you think?

Btw, I think it’s really positive that you have opened up about this. It’s an important part of the process.

Speak soon,

Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e