I have a crush on my best friend.

Blue_Jays    

I have a crush on my best friend that started this year. I am in grade 8 and he is in my class. He has been my friend for 3 years and we are pretty close as friends. He likes a girl and I respect that but should I tell him that I liked him. I don't want to ruin our friendship but what should I do?

Hey there!

That's awesome that you have such a strong friendship with this person. Three years is a long time!

I think the first question to ask yourself is "What do you want to happen after telling him?" Do you have expectations of him, then, directing his attraction toward you?

In honest, open, communicative relationships I think it's healthy to be able to express attraction. It doesn't have to mean anything will come of it-- it's just nice to get off your chest! Crushing on someone can really weigh you down!

So, if you do share with him that you like him, letting him know you don't expect him to like you back like that, but that you just needed to share, could be a way you could strengthen your friendship.

Hope that's helpful!

-willow

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey

I’m in a similar situation with my best friend where I have a crush on him and a girl I’ve liked for a long time. But he also likes said girl. I told him I liked him and his reaction was pretty good. Any advice on how to tell others?

Hi Ninjapeach671,

Well done for telling him, I'm glad he took it well. Were you looking for advice on how to tell the other girl? You did a good job of telling the guy so maybe use the same approach.

What do you like happen when you tell them? Do you think the guy would mind you telling the girl? When telling someone you like them I think its important to not expect too much of them at first. Feelings are complex and it takes some people a little while longer to process emotions. So whatever you decide to do - give the other person time to process.

Good luck! :D;)

-Remi

Edited by Remi

Hi

Thanks Remi for the tips. I told the girl and she was surprised but accepting. But when I try to talk to the boy about it he won’t and just keeps telling me to tell my parents. I’m not ready to tell anyone else yet, what should I do?

Hey Ninja Peach,

Maybe he just isn't ready to have the conversation yet. Sometimes these things take a little time. It's awesome you had a positive experience with the girl.

Remi