How should I approach this (bi-curious)

Compile123    

Right so, I am around 16 years old and for about a year now I have begun to develop an interest in bisexuality. In the beginning I was quite ashamed for it -looking back at it, I honestly don’t know why-, however, this went away when a friend of mine came out as bi-sexual.

Ever since my curiosity has become even bigger, to the point where I’d like to experiment. However, I don’t know how to approach this. As a 16 year old boy, the common solutions found on the internet (gay bar, online dayjng sites), are really not an option.

I believe my bi-sexual friend would be open to at least talk with me about it (and probably go even further) however, I am too afraid to tell him about it. I don’t want anyone to know I am bi-curious. I believe that is pointless given the fact that i am not even sure if I am bi-sexual in the first place.

Honestly this is pretty much a personal problem, but any advice or experience from others would really help me out.

Hey,

I'm questioning myself in a lot of areas, both gender and sexuality. I have a couple of friends who are trans and biromantic. I find at times that it's really useful to talk to my friends and bounce ideas off them since their way more ahead than me. Talk to your friend since your friend has experienced it as well.

I understand that you're uncertain to talk to your friend but I find it easier to talk by private msging, you can make sure that your question is correct and not make the situation worse by saying the wrong thing face to face and sometimes my biromantic friend will say that we can talk at school about the topic. Hope this makes sense.

Tom

And I kno that people say this a lot but it's true, trust your gut when talking to people, it will do a lot of mental talking to you and you'll kno. If it's a bad situation and if it feels wrong don't say anything.

Tom

Hello @Compile123 ,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting this here. Firstly, congratulations on starting the journey of exploring your sexuality. You were right to not be ashamed, being bisexual is normal and natural and there is a huge percentage of us that do not identify as fully heterosexual.

This friend of yours might be a really good person to talk to as he has been through this recently so should be able to answer any questions you might have - could you send him a message and ask him if you could share something with him but say that you appreciate if he didn't tell anyone as you aren't ready yet to share it with other people. I think he should understand this.

You could try searching on Facebook for youth LGBT+ groups?? It's healthy to explore as long as you always stay safe.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Not only was I bi-curious for ages, but I'm now also lesbian-curious (if that's a thing?). Since you've become very interested in it, and you're lucky enough to have a friend who actually is bi, I'd just straight up ask them. You have a perfect resource right by you, I'd use it. They can explain their feelings towards boys and girls, and you can see maybe if any of it applies to you? You mind find that actually you are bi - which is totally fine! Don't be afraid to ask.

I've been in a relationship with a lad for a few months and I'm only now wondering if actually I'm lesbian. I found it really hard to find someone who I could talk to about it. My friend realised there was something wrong between us, but didn't tell her for weeks. However, eventually I did. And I tell you what, makes you feel a lot better.

So, ask him. Text him, say it to his face, however you feel most comfortable. Just be like 'Hi, could I talk to you about something please that's been on my mind for a while. Since you came out as bi, I've been paying more attention to my sexuality, and I've become bi-curious....' and go on from there! :)