I don’t know how to come out

Jayla174    

I’m 13 years old and I am bisexual. I have already come out to some of my friends from school who are apart of the lgbtq+ community and my best friend who is also bi, but when it comes to my family I want to come out. When I think about coming out it just feels awkward to me. Honestly most all my life I hated discussing my feelings and I thing maybe that is what worries me is having to talk about it. As far as I know my mom, dad, and step mom are supportive, But I don’t know about the rest of my family which does not matter to me. For I don’t think being unaccepted is the problem, it emotions things I don’t want to talk about with anyone it makes uncomfortable to talk about my feelings I guess. I just don’t know what to do and how to come out. :(

Hey Jayla,

Thanks for coming to us for support :)

I'm glad to hear that you've come out to some of your friends already, are they supportive? Coming out to your family can be nerve-wracking and many people feel awkward about it. I felt really awkward doing it, but I'm so glad I got it over with. I just want to check if you're ready to come out? It's so important to only do it when you feel the time is right as there really is no rush. For people who feel awkward about it, it can be helpful to write a letter to come out. They can have a read, and then you can talk about it after if you feel ready. If not, no problem. It would be important to say in such a letter that you feel uncomfortable talking about it and that you might benefit from having a bit of time to let the dust settle after doing it. What do you think?

Speak soon,

-Monsoon

Edited by Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e