Coming out

Paula    

Hi! I recently realized that I'm bisexual and I want to come out to my family but I know they aren't going to be supportive and I don't want to lose my relationship with them but I don't want to feel like I'm lying to them either. And I also want to come out to my friends and I know some of them will be okay with it and they will be supportive but it really scares me. I don't want to lose my friends or family over this.

Hey @Paula

I'm sorry to hear that your family won't be supportive - why do you think that is? Sadly, for some people who come out, their families aren't accepting, however, this can change as time goes on and here's a support guide we have for people who don't get a good reaction: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/

I completely understand why you feel scared as I was the same before I come out. It is hard at first, but trust me when I say it gets better with time. I'm also really glad to hear that some of your friends will be okay with it.

You will get through this, Paula. Stay strong :)

-Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi @Paula

My biggest piece of advice is this: only come out if it's safe. I didn't come out to my parents until I was 18. Unfortunately, not everyone is supportive, but trust me, there are plenty of people out there who are and you'll meet them.

If you know there are a couple of friends who will be supportive, and you feel confident and safe telling them, go for it! But there is no rush. You have your entire life, and you're not lying to anyone if you don't tell them. It's your thing, no one needs to know if you don't want them to :) You can keep it to yourself for as long as you want/need, don't feel pressure to tell everyone around you. But, by all means if you feel brave enough, go for it!

I hope this helps :)